The application and all supporting documentation must be submitted by the deadline.
- March 1
- Late applications to the MIRHR will not be considered.
- January 15
- Late applications may be considered if space is available.
Application Forms and Fee
Fee: $125 CDN (non-refundable).
- Review the admission requirements to ensure you are eligible to apply.
- Students are admitted to the academic session beginning each September. There is no January admission.
- Applications will not be reviewed until the fee has been paid.
- Only applications submitted (and application fee paid) by the March 1st deadline will be considered.
- Application fees paid after the March 1st deadline will not be refunded.
Apply online through the School of Graduate Studies — Applications open November 1
Instructions for the SGS online application
- If you are a first-time applicant, click the link to Create an Account to begin your application. You will receive a verification code via email as part of the account creation process. After entering your verification code, you will create a password for your account.
- You may save and return to the application at any point in the process.
- You can upload application materials, including unofficial transcripts, English Language Proficiency and GRE or GMAT test results (if applicable), and other documents through your applicant status portal after submitting your application.
Upload a scanned copy of your academic record from each post-secondary institution you attended.
- Official English translations must accompany all foreign documentation.
- Courses which are in progress, and for which grades are not yet available by the application deadline, can not be considered by the admissions committee.
- Students who secure an offer of admission will be required to submit official academic transcripts directly from the institution.
Note: Only references from “institutional” email address are considered
- 2 academic references required, preferably from university instructors. Additional references will not be considered.
- Employer references (or others) are acceptable if the writer is in a position to evaluate your academic abilities and preparation for graduate studies.
- 3 academic references required, preferably from university instructors. Additional references will not be considered.
- Supporting references should include letters from faculty associated with your Master’s program.
- In the online application system, you will be required to enter information for your referees. Your referees will automatically receive a notification email that they have been requested to complete a reference for your application, along with instructions to submit their reference letter in the application system.
- Only references from “institutional” email address are considered
- If you need to change your referees, please get in touch with the graduate administrator.
- If you need to send a reminder email to your existing referees, you can do so through your applicant portal after submitting your application.
- Facility in the English language must be demonstrated by applicants educated outside Canada whose first language is not English.
- The School of Graduate Studies recognizes four tests – TOEFL, COPE, IELTS, and MELAB.
GRE or GMAT test results are required to support the PhD application only
PhD applicants: Due to the ongoing challenges associated with COVID-19, the admissions committee will consider 2021-22 applications complete without submissions of a GRE/GMAT score. Students who have completed a GRE/GMAT can still submit it as part of their application package.
Results more than five years old are normally not considered. Although these is no minimum score requirement, the relative strength of a test result is evaluated within the context of the entire application.
GRE or GMAT test scores must be received by January 15. Use the codes below to submit your test results:
- A brief summary of your proposed area of study, career and educational research interests.
- You may also use broad categories to describe your interests, e.g. labour-management relations, human resources management or labour and social policy.
- If uncertain, simply indicate “unknown at this time”.
- A current resume is required.
- A personal statement is part of the application
- The admissions committee may request a copy of recent academic work and publications. Do not provide this information except upon request.
There is no personal interview.
A personal interview may be requested at the discretion of the admissions committee.
Enrolment capacity is limited. Meeting minimum standards does not guarantee admission
- The admissions committee begins meeting in January and most decisions are made by April 30.
- The length of time to evaluate each application can vary.
- Once a decision has been made, an official written notification will be sent.
- To view the status of your application, including outstanding requirements, please log in to the SGS online application system to view your applicant status portal.
- If current studies are incomplete, the successful candidate will receive a conditional offer of admission. Instructions for clearing the conditions will be provided.