International Students

International Degrees

Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside Canada should hold an appropriate bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as assessed by the University of Toronto. Use the International Degree Equivalencies tool to see which international credentials are required for masters and doctoral admissions at UofT.

English Proficiency

  • Facility in the English language must be demonstrated by applicants educated outside Canada whose first language is not English.
  • The School of Graduate Studies recognizes four tests – TOEFL, COPE, IELTS, and MELAB.

Resources for International Students

Visit the Centre for International Experience website for information on obtaining student visas and health insurance (UHIP). The site also features information about coming to the University of Toronto, money matters, programs and services to support you.

Financial Aid for International Students

Most major scholarship programs restrict their support to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Some awards, notably the Ontario Student Opportunities Trust Fund (OSOTF), restrict their support to Ontario residents.

Visit the School of Graduate Studies website for information regarding awards for international students.