Admission Information

PDF iconCHRM_APP2024.pd

The Certificate Program in Human Resource Management (CHRM) is a limited enrolment program that can only accommodate a limited number of students. The qualifications listed below do not guarantee admission to this program in any given year. We will consider applications from Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents but are unable to consider applications from International (VISA) students.

Admission Requirements:

The Certificate Program in Human Resource Management is a limited enrolment program and the qualifications listed below are considered acceptable for admission consideration, although possession of these minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance. 

A completed three-year undergraduate degree from a recognized university in a field other than HRM or related fields, with an acceptable cumulative grade point average (70%+), is the minimum required for admission consideration to the Certificate Program in Human Resource Management.

Important Notes:  

You should apply to this program only if you meet the minimum admission requirements. The $90 application fee is non-refundable. Letters of reference will not be used as part of the admissions process.

Students whose academic background overlaps significantly with this program at an undergraduate or graduate level are not eligible for this program and are advised to research other Canadian institutions offering HR-related studies here.

We will consider applications from Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents but are unable to consider applications from International (VISA) students.

Students who do not hold degrees can apply for admission consideration to the Faculty of Arts and Science as a degree student) and request enrolment in the IRHR major program. All of the courses described in this program are contained in the undergraduate degree program. 

This is a part-time program and the majority of students will finish the program over two academic years. Some courses may be offered only during the daytime.    

University policies on access to student records and personal privacy allow us to speak only with the applicant unless we have written permission to discuss the application with someone else.

Application  and Documents Deadline  

The next admission cycle will take place in 2025.  

  • CLOSED:  February 15, 2024 - Summer Session (for classes starting in May & July).   Complete applications for the summer term submitted after the deadline will be processed but registration in courses is not guaranteed as course registration begins March 1. Complete applications are processed within 2 weeks.
  • CLOSED:  April 30, 2024 - Fall and Winter Sessions (for classes starting in September & January)  

Application Process A complete application consists of:

  1. A signed application with all the sections completed  
  2. The $90 application fee
  3. Official Transcripts  
  4. Proof of English Facility

Application Form:  PDF iconCHRM_APP2024.pdf

The completed application can be emailed to provided you are paying the application fee via VISA.NOTE: 

  • We do not provide a pre-application evaluation service.
  • Only those applicants who have attained a competitive level of academic achievement should apply for admission consideration to this program.
  • The application fee is non-refundable
  • Apply by the deadline

DocumentsOfficial transcripts are documents mailed directly from the issuing institution to our office. It can take a minimum of three weeks to be received by the Program Office. It is your responsibility to ensure that all required documents are received by the appropriate deadline.  The application fee is non-refundable.

  • Official transcripts may be emailed by the postsecondary institutions to provided we receive them from a secure site formally linked to the sending institution.
  • Hard-copy transcripts and other academic records are considered "official" only when they arrive in a sealed, stamped, official envelope with the seal and any other security feature intact.


  • Graduates from the University of Toronto (1998 onwards) do not need to request transcripts provided the transcript can be viewed on ACORN and the appropriate section on the CHRM application has been signed.
  • Graduates of North American Universities: An official transcript of all postsecondary studies must be forwarded directly to the Program Office from the issuing institution(s).
  • Graduates of other International Universities: An official transcript of all postsecondary studies along with all diploma/graduation certificates, must be forwarded directly to the Program Office from the issuing institution(s). If the original transcript is not in English, applicants must submit a translation in addition to all original documents. Additional documents may be requested once the initial assessment is completed.

Mailing address: 
CHRM Program Office - CIRHR  - UofT
236-119 St. George Street 
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A9


English is the language of instruction and examination at U of T, and success in our programs requires a high level of English language proficiency.  If English is not your first language (i.e. is not the first language you learned at home as a child), you will need to provide evidence of adequate English facility for admission consideration, unless you qualify for an exemption.  You may qualify for an exemption from the English facility requirement if one of the following applies to you:

  • You have completed/are completing four or more years of full-time academic study in a recognized Canadian school (in Canada) that teaches in English
  • You have completed/are completing four or more years of full-time academic study in an English language school located in a country where the dominant language is English
  • Your first language is French and you have completed four or more years of full-time academic study at a Canadian school

If you meet any of the exemption criteria listed above, please contact us at to inquire.Most applicants will present IELTS or TOEFL, acceptable scores are noted below. If you are required to present evidence of English language facility, you can satisfy the requirement by completing one of the tests/qualifications listed in the PDF below with acceptable results.   We will not accept your Grade 12 English results, your results in any other English course/test, or letters of reference from your school or employer for this purpose.For acceptable tests please download this:PDF iconCHRM English Facility Requirements.pdfTOEFL Internet-based Test (including Home Edition):

Minimum Requirement          Total score 100 + 22 on Writing

Discretionary Requirement   Total score 89-99 + 22 on WritingTest results that fall into the discretionary range will be reviewed automatically.

Applicants will be notified if their discretionary range score satisfies the English language requirement. As we cannot guarantee that these scores will be accepted, it is recommended that applicants arrange to take another test if the official results can be submitted to us by the appropriate document deadline.  Applicants must achieve the scores listed above on a single test date. TOEFL MyBest (super-scored) results will not be used.  We do not accept TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL ITP, or TOEFL ITP Plus For China for admission purposes. Results must be sent to us electronically from ETS – TOEFL. The institution code is 0982-00. For information visit:


IELTS Academic Module

The minimum requirement is an overall band of 6.5, with no band below 6.0. For information visit link).Note: we do not accept the IELTS Indicator test.We only accept scores submitted electronically by the IELTS test centre. An institutional code is not required. Contact your IELTS test centre directly to arrange for your scores to be sent electronically to our account via the IELTS Results Service. All test centres worldwide are able to transmit your scores to our system. You must provide the following information to your test centre when submitting:

IELTS Results Service Account name: University of Toronto - CHRM Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program

  • IELTS Results Service Account address:  Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program Office, 236-119 St. George Street, Toronto ON M5S 1A9



Tuition fees are subject to change from year to year and do not include the cost of books or other course materials. There may be additional ancillary fees levied for enrolment in specific courses or for individual circumstances.These will be reflected in the student's invoice. Students who drop from full-time to part-time after the 100% refund period will be charged full-time incidental fees. 

To give applicants an idea of the tuition cost, please review the 2023-24 Fees Schedule.

Financial AssistanceThe Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government financial aid program that assists eligible Ontario residents attending university through a combination of loans and grants.OSAP is changed in 2018-19. Starting that year, the Government of Ontario required OSAP funding to be sent directly to the University of Toronto to reduce your tuition and fees. For more information about the changes to OSAP, see OSAP FAQs. Visit the OSAP website to learn more and apply for OSAP today OSAP information for Part-Time Students

OSAP RepaymentIf you have been financing your education with Canada or Ontario student loans (OSAP) you should consider a repayment plan. Your first payment is due in the seventh month after you cease to be a full-time student. This is your “Consolidation Date”. While you are a full-time student (i.e., 60% course load or greater), the Federal and Provincial governments pay the interest on your student loans. You are responsible for arranging repayment with your lender(s) before your six-month period expires by signing a Consolidation Agreement/Loan Repayment form. This will specify your monthly payments, the term and the interest rate.See the OSAP website for detailed information on OSAP repayment.

Financial Aid for Students with DisabilitiesStudents with permanent disabilities may receive funds through the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities as part of their OSAP funding. In addition, grants are available through the Ontario Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) and the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities to help with disability-related supports and services for students with permanent or temporary disabilities. For more information visit UofT's Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities page. 

Work Study ProgramWork Study provides students with the opportunity to develop their knowledge, skills and experience through paid work on campus. 

Noah Meltz GrantPart-time students can apply for the Noah Meltz Grant, a grant offered though the University of Toronto to assist part-time degree students with their educational costs, or part time OSAP. The application for the Noah Meltz grant and information about Part time OSAP can be found on the Enrolment Services website.

Woodsworth College Bursaries and GrantsThe College has an extensive bursary and grant program. Students are encouraged to apply when applications become available October 1 for the Fall/Winter Session and the first day of classes in the summer session. Most students applying for a bursary will have already applied for other funding. However, students are encouraged to meet with the College’s financial advisor to discuss their individual circumstances. Do not hesitate to make an appointment to see the Awards Officer. Contact Yvonne Hilder to discuss your financial plan.

If you have completed undergraduate degre- level university courses similar to those offered in CHRM you may qualify for transfer credits.

A total of 2 full-course equivalents (2.0) may be transferred to the CHRM program. A maximum of one full course equivalent (1.0) may be transferred for courses listed under Group B. For more information please refer to the CHRM Program Requirements.

Requests for transfer credits are processed only after the student has been admitted to the program. Students are notified in writing of the transfer credits to which they are entitled as soon as possible, usually along with the letter of admission. We do not accept requests to have courses assessed for possible transfer credits unless the person has submitted a complete application and is admitted to the program.

Some factors taken into consideration during the transfer credit assessment are:

  • content and credit weight of the course;
  • level and type of instruction;
  • academic structure and grading system used by the accredited university and grade achieved in the course (normally a minimum passing grade of 60% is required).

Only the credit weight (not the grade) is transferred to CHRM.

Transfer credits are not granted for courses that are practical, clinical, internship, or pedagogical in nature. Transfer credit is also not granted for coursework more appropriate for programs taught in other Divisions of the university (e.g. graduate studies, nursing, law, education). Courses offered by HRPA, Community College, and School of Continuing Studies are non-transferable.

For what careers might CHRM prepare me? Students who wish to pursue careers in areas such as human resources, industrial relations, the public service, or to become professional union staff will find this program to be a useful preparation.

CHRM students have access to the Career Centre. The Centre offers career counselling and employment services to currently enrolled students and recent graduates through either workshops or individual appointments. Job search seminars are held regularly. The Career Resource Library is a valuable resource in the formulation of career plans and in the search for employment.

I have completed the IRHR Undergraduate Program. Can I apply to this program? No. This program is designed for students who have not previously studied IRHR (or Employment Relations) at the undergraduate/graduate level.

Is there a co-op option in CHRM? A co-op option is not available in this program. Students interested in completing a co-op program are advised to investigate certificate programs offered at other post-secondary educational institutions in the Greater Toronto Area. Students who are admitted to the CHRM program have access to the Career Centre's counselling and employment services.

Is there a graduate program in IRHR at UofT? The Centre for Industrial Relations and Human Resources offers both a Master's degree and a Ph.D. degree in Industrial Relations and Human Resources. 

I’m interested in the MIRHR program at UofT and wish to finish the CHRM program in one year, is that possible? CHRM is a part-time program and the majority of students will finish the program over two academic years. Students who have been granted transfer credits and are able to enroll in a conflict-free course schedule (while meeting all the course prerequisites) may be able to complete the program is less than two academic years. Students wishing to get a head start in CHRM should complete some introductory courses during the summer session. Prerequisites are strictly enforced. No exceptions are made.

How does CHRM compare to other programs? It depends on your goals. Ask yourself why you are interested in pursuing these studies. The answer usually falls into two categories: Professional or Academic endeavours. Of course, time and financial commitments are part of the decision-making process. Here are some general guidelines:

  • Professional: If you are interested in taking courses to improve your job prospects or pursue professional accreditation in the HR field (with HRPA) there are many institutions that offer HR programs and courses. For more information visit the Human Resources Professional Association website.
  • Academic: If you are interested in pursuing graduate studies you need to investigate the institutions’ admission guidelines and program options. Admission guidelines differ in every institution and for this reason we are unable to comment on how other universities might assess your academic qualifications.