International Students

International Degrees

Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside Canada should hold an appropriate bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as assessed by the University of Toronto. Use the International Degree Equivalencies tool to see which international credentials are required for masters and doctoral admissions at UofT.

English Proficiency

Proficiency in English must be demonstrated. information on English Language Testing Services is available from the School of Graduate Studies.  For both the MIRHR and PhD applications the minimum TOEFL is 600 (paper) plus 5.0 TWE or 100 (Internet) plus 22/30 for both Writing and Speaking sections.

Resources for International Students

Visit the Centre for International Experience website for information on obtaining student visas and health insurance (UHIP). The site also features information about coming to the University of Toronto, money matters, programs and services to support you.

Financial Aid for International Students

Most major scholarship programs restrict their support to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Some awards, notably the Ontario Student Opportunities Trust Fund (OSOTF), restrict their support to Ontario residents.

Visit the School of Graduate Studies website for information regarding awards for international students.