Thesis: Collective bargaining outcomes and the performance of the firm
Research areas: HR policies, performance management, employee engagement
Now: Professor of Management, Sorrell College of Business, Troy University
Dr. Maureen D. (Stephen) Hannay's research focuses on HR policies, performance management, and employee management in different sectors, including higher education and sports management. Her articles been published in many academic journals, including Labor Law Journal, Compensation & Benefits Review, Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies and American Journal of Management.
- Harcourt, M., Hannay, M., & Lam, H. (2013). Distributive Justice, Employment-at-Will and Just-Cause Dismissal. Journal of Business Ethics, 115(2), 311-325. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/stable/42001985
- Harcourt, M., Lam, H., & Hannay, M. (2013). EMPLOYMENT AT WILL VERSUS JUST CAUSE DISMISSAL: APPLYING THE DUE PROCESS MODEL OF PROCEDURAL JUSTICE. Labor Law Journal, 64(2), 67-85. Retrieved from http://myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/docview/1406216015?accountid=14771
- Hannay, M. (2002). The unionization of professionals: A case study. Journal of Labor Research, Xxiii(3), 487-498. Retrieved from http://myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/docview/39126011?accountid=14771
- Hannay, M., & Northam, M. (2000). Low-cost strategies for employee retention. Compensation & Benefits Review, 32(4), 65-72. doi:10.1177/08863680022097920
Leadership and employee engagement
- Hannay, M. (2009). The cross-cultural leader: The application of servant leadership theory in the international context. Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies, 1, 1–12.
- Fretwell, C. E., Lewis, C. C., & Hannay, M. (2013). Myers-briggs type indicator, A/B personality types, and locus of control: Where do they intersect? American Journal of Management, 13(3), 57-66. Retrieved from http://myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/docview/1503121038?accountid=14771
She has published articles about labour relations in specific sectors, such as higher education and sports management.
Fretwell, C. E., Lewis, C. C., Hannay, M., & Colley, M. C. (2017). Need for Affiliation of College Football Fans: A Partial Least Squares (PLS) Path Modeling Approach. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 11(3). https://doi.org/10.33423/jmdc.v11i3.1626
Hannay recalls the bonds between PhD students as some of her strongest memories from her time at the Centre:
“One of the best things that came from my time at the CIRHR was my friendship/writing relationship with Rosemary Venne (‘IRHR PhD 1993). While we were a couple of years apart in our Ph.D. programs, we have stayed in contact over the years. We have had the opportunity to publish several articles together and to visit in person through the years.”
Hannay and Venne continue to collaborate on papers and presentations:
- Venne, R. A., & Hannay, M. (2018). Generational change, the modern workplace and performance appraisal: Why changing workplaces need a developmental approach to performance appraisal. American Journal of Management, 18(5), 88-102. Retrieved from http://myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/2206006321?accountid=14771
- Venne, R. A., & Hannay, M. (2017) Demographics, the Third Age and partial retirement: Policy proposals to accommodate the changing picture of female retirement in Canada, Journal of Women & Aging, 29:6, 475-493, DOI: 10.1080/08952841.2017.1377541
- Rosemary Venne and Maureen Hannay (presenter), Is there a work-fertility trade off? Women, work and identity, at conference: Statistics Canada: 100 years and counting, December 6-7, 2018, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Rosemary Venne and Maureen Hannay (presenter), Generational Change, the Modern Workplace and Performance Appraisal: Why Changing Workplaces Need a Developmental Approach to Performance Appraisal, at Academy of Business Research Fall 2018 Conference, in Boca Raton, Florida, (at Lynn University), November 14-16, 2018.
Before coming to the Centre, Hannay completed her B.A. at the University of British Columbia, and her M. Sc. at University of Toronto. She is now Professor of Management at Sorrell College of Business, Troy University, Florida.